Monday, July 9, 2012

The Fayetteville Moment



One of the required pieces for the writing project is to add your "Fayetteville Moment" to the anthology.  This is the piece you wrote at 1:00 pm during the writing marathon.  A critical aspect of this piece is the location the writer chose to write.  My Fayetteville Moment was written "in the sticks."  I sat inside one of the sculptures.  The inside was lined with cedar chips...which, as you will see, became a little problematic. 

For more information on this sculpture project, click the link below the photo.





Hidden
Shaded
Shut off from the outside.
Like the branches twisting and turning around me, my mind is a jumbled mess.  Which way?  Where to?  How far?  Bits of lights poke through the stems giving just a taste of what might be on the outside.  The cedar chips dig into my legs…much like painful memories I wish I could erase. 
Somewhere above my head, a bird chirps.  I wonder who he is talking to.  Do they hear him?  Will they answer? 
The cars pass by on the neighboring street.  Do they see me?  They see the shell surrounding me…shielding me…keeping me safe.  But do they see me?  The real me?  Of course not.  They only see the shell.  The mask.  I am hidden.  I am shaded.  I have cut myself off from the outside world.  The unknown awaits me out there.  Out there, it is dangerous.  I am safe inside. 
Dry, brittle leaves tremble before me.  How do they find the strength to hang on?  What gives them the inner “umph” to not let go?  Another burst of wind passes through my cocoon, and I am suddenly filled with peace.  No more doubt.  No more worries.  This is a good day. 
I think I have ants in my pants.  Time to go.


1 comment: