Monday, September 3, 2012

Courage

It’s Labor Day.  And like many others I know, I am truly enjoying this day set aside to NOT labor.  Sure, the washing machine is running and eventually I’m going to head upstairs to clean the bathroom, but for now…I’m lounging on the couch watching old movies and enjoying some yummy, iced green tea.  A little while ago it dawned on me that I picked up some pretty great habits over this past summer.  Healthy eating habits and an exercise routine finally found me, and writing for the sake of writing is not the struggle it has been for the past few years.  (The NWAWPians were very good to me, and I am forever in their debt.) 
Somewhere in the hustle and bustle of beginning a new school year, these healthy habits have begun to fade a little.  It's harder to get to the gym...easier to pick up dinner on the way home...tastier to have that extra Diet Dr. Pepper instead of sticking to water.  I'm too tired to write, and I can't think of anything important to say anyway.
Excuses...excuses...excuses.  They're back.
Hoping to find some writing inspiration, I searched my school bag for my writer's notebook...the one I tell students that I keep with me all the time so that I can't write down my writing ideas no matter where they find me.  Problem...it's at school sitting on the shelf next to my desk. 
Determined to at least do a little bit of writing today, I pulled out my facilitator notebook. (After all...quick writes from our meetings live on those pages, and our facilitator team is AMAZING at finding great inspiration for quick writes.)  Just three pages in I paused to read about courage.  "Courage is a single blade of grass breaking through the snow."  For this particular quick write, J introduced us to Courage by Bernard Waber...a simple book with a BIG message about the ways in which we demonstrate the many kinds of courage each of us face in life.  I've used this same book and quick write with students, and I am always amazed by their connections.  In his book, Waber begins most lines of text with "Courage is..."  I think I'll follow his lead.
Courage is filling the coffee cup to the brim knowing that it's going to dribble on the carpet as you make your way to the couch.
Courage is sipping off the top of the mug even though the coffee is super hot and you might burn you tongue.
Courage is putting your bedspread in washer and hoping it doesn't fall apart by the time it comes out of the dryer.
Courage is continuing to read a book that goes against much of what you believe to be good teaching just so you can speak intelligently to your co-workers when they tell you how much they LOVE every word written between the front and back cover.
Courage is sitting down to write without really knowing what you want or need to say.
Courage is admitting that, while you haven't fallen completely off the wagon, you realize that the grip you once had is beginning to slip.
Courage is balancing the checking account after paying the bills. (Still working on building up enough courage for that one.)
Courage is clicking on the little, orange button that says "Publish" when this is done.
 
Quick Write written on 9/9/11...
Breaking through...feeling brave...and scared to death at the same time.  "I need you to do this for me," she said.  Being that one that needs to feel needed and wants to please others, I said yes.  I'd take the leap...step out into the unknown...break the mold...and lead.  Fear set in.
I can't.
I don't know how.
No one will listen to me.
This isn't on my "to do" list.
What was I thinking?
Stop the roller coaster!  I want to get off!
But the ride doesn't stop.  The train never pulls into the station.  Eventually the butterflies settle a little bit.  And even though it's not the plan I had for myself, it's the plan that was meant for me.
I am the Literacy Facilitator.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. I have been thinking a lot about courage as I prepare to teach revolution. One, I am going to write right now, two, I am taking this to my students this week. I love you for your courage! Keep writing! Katy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! :) Good luck to you on this teaching journey. You are going to be AMAZING! If you don't have this book, GET IT! It will hit students of all ages. :)

      Delete