Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Take me to the beach!!!

So...last Thursday I experienced my first Writing Marathon.  While I absolutely love my job, I have to say that it felt nice to just be a writer for the day.  While some of the pieces I wrote that day are still works in progress (and others will NEVER see the light of day again), this one turned out to be pretty ok my book. 

I found myself stuck, so I did as instructed...I began to write about my surroundings...things I could see and feel.  And then magically I was at the beach. 

So...here goes...

(written in the courtyard outside Jammin' Java, Fayetteville, AR)


Spiny blades of an unfamiliar plant wave furiously in the morning breeze...like cat tails in the bayou and beach grass fluttering in the peaks and valleys of white sand dunes.  The call of the sea...it's power is intense and unyielding.  The waves dance in and out of the shore line leaving behind a murky foam along the water's edge.  Salt and spray dance in the air and light ever so slightly along my lips.  And just as the sun begins to set, I can stand it no longer.  My feet beckon me to move softly and slowly down the beach.  Camera in hand, I make my way down the jagged lines...snapping pictures and breathing in all that the sunset has to offer. 

"Just five more minutes! Pleeeeease!"  A young boy begs his mother.  The pink on his nose and shoulders tell the story of the day's outing.  I smile and silently plead with his exhausted mother.  Yes, just five more minutes.  All too soon this day will be over.  Tomorrow, he will be grown and family vacations will be few...and very far between.  Savor these moments.  Watch the sun crash into the horizon.  Wait for the stars.  Look for moon beams dancing on the water.  Let the magic of this moment stop time dead in its tracks. 

Perhaps this is a memory.  Or maybe just a dream?  A figment of my imagination?  No, this is a premonition...a vision sent to tell of a future event.  Ironically, "Cannon in D" just swept through the think white wire and is now dancing in my ears.  Maybe this, too, is a premonition.  Put down the pen and swim in the music.

1 comment:

  1. It's so wonderful that you are blogging! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete